Monday, November 22, 2010

Holiday Wine Advice

I asked three wine experts, who do not also sell wine, what wines they like for the holidays. Here's their answers:

From "Wine Wars" author and Stir (food and wine consulting company) President Joyce Locke:

“Tis the season to try new wines and let go of favorites is my wine manta for the holidays. We have many meals--fancy, homey, and cuisine specific that may include serious to not-so-serious wine drinkers. With such a wide range of wine opportunity, it's a great time to discover new wines. I don't have go-to-favorites.

“My strategy is to visit my trusted wine merchant with menus in hand. We discuss the menus, wine demographics of the guests (adventurous, traditional, new wine drinkers...) For some menus I want wines from the same country as the cuisine, for special menus I don't mind stretching the wine budget, and some menus will be great with a good $10 table wine.”

From Che George Formaro (South Union, Centro, Django and Gateway Market Café):

“Small Gully Mr. Black's Concoction GSM $22.99, Luca Pinot Noir $32.99, Clos Otto Boxhead Cabernet Sauvignon $12.99, Willow Crest Pinot Gris $11.99

From restaurateur chef Linda Benignant (Chuck’s), who also hosts the largest free turkey dinner in Iowa - Park District Thanksgiving dinner.

“Anything Brut with bubbles.”

No comments:

Post a Comment